1. Which of the following reactions is appropriate for converting ace amide to methoxamine?
(a) Hoffmann hypobromamide reaction
(b) Stephen’s reaction
(c) Gabriel phthalimide synthesis
(d) Carbylamines reaction (a)
2. Method by which aniline cannot be prepared is –
(a) Degradation of benzamine with bromine in alkaline solution
(b) Reduction of nitrobenzene with H2/ Pd in ethanol
(c) Potassium salt of phthalimide treated with chlorobenzene followed by hydrolysis with aqueous NaOH solution
(d) Hydrolysis of phenylisocyanide with acidic solution. (c)
(c) (d) (c )
5. Ace amide is treated with the following reagents Separately. Which one of these would yield methyl? Amine?
(a) NaOH-Br2 (b) Soda lime
(c) Hot conc.H2SO4 (d) PCl5 (a)
6. Which one of the following on reduction with lithium Aluminum hydride yields a secondary amine?
(a) Methyl isocyanides (b) Ace amide
(c) Methyl cyanide (d) Nitromethane (a)
12. Which of the following amines will give the carbylamines test?
(c) (d) (a)
13. The correct order of the basic strength of methyl substituted amines in aqueous solution is
(a) CH3NH2 > (CH3)2NH > (CH3)3N
(b) (CH3)2NH > CH3NH2 > (CH3)3N
(c) (CH3)3N > CH3NH2 > (CH3)2NH
(d) (CH3)3N > (CH3)2NH > CH3NH2 (b)
14. The amine that reacts with Hinesburg’s reagent to give an alkali insoluble
product is –
15. Nitration of aniline in strong acidic medium also gives m-nitroaniline because
(a) In spite of substituents nitro group always goes to only m-position
(b) In electrophilic substitution reactions amino group is Meta directive
(c) In absence of substituents nitro group always goes to m-position
(d) In acidic (strong) medium aniline is present as anilinism ion. (d)
The correct statement regarding the basicity of aryl amines is
Aryl amines are generally more basic than alkyl amines because of aryl group
Aryl amines are generally more basic than alkyl amines, because the nitrogen
atom in aryl amines is sp-hybridised
Aryl amines are generally less basic than alkyl amines because the nitrogen
lone-pair electrons are delocalized by interaction with the Aromatic
ring π-electron system
Aryl amines are generally more basic than alkyl amines because the nitrogen
lone-pair electrons are not delocalized by interaction with the aromatic ring
π-electron system. (c)
18. On hydrolysis of a “compound”, two compounds are obtained. One of which on treatment with sodium nitrite and hydrochloric acid gives a product which does not respond to iodoformism test. The second one reduces Tollens’ reagent and Fehling’s solution. The “compound” is
(c) CH3CH2CH2ON = O
(d) CH3CH2CH2CON (CH3)2 (a)
22. Which of the following statements about primary amines is false?
(a) Alkyl amines are stronger bases than aryl amines.
(b) Alkyl amines react with nitrous acid to produce alcohols.
(c) Aryl amines react with nitrous acid to produce
(d) Alkyl amines are stronger bases than ammonia. (c )