1. Which one is malachite from the following? (NEET 2019)
(a) CuCO3.Cu(OH)2 (b) CuFeS2
(c) Cu(OH)2 (d) Fe3O4
2. Identify the incorrect statement. (NEET 2019)
(a) The scientific and technological process used for isolation of the metal from its ore is known as metallurgy.
(b) Minerals are naturally occurring chemical substances in the earth’s crust.
(c) Ores are minerals that may contain a metal.
(d) Gangue is an ore contaminated with undesired materials.
NEET-UG 2015 Chemistry Question Paper with Answer Key
NEET-UG 2014 Chemistry Question Paper with Answer Key
NEET-UG 2013 Chemistry Question Paper with Answer Key
NEET-UG 2012 Chemistry Question Paper with Answer Key
NEET-UG 2011 Chemistry Question Paper with Answer Key
NEET-UG 2010 Chemistry Question Paper with Answer Key
3. “Metals are usually not found as nitrates in their or es. ” Out of the following two (I and II) reasons which is/are true for the above observation? (2015)
I. Metal nitrates are highly unstable.
II. Metal nitrates are highly soluble in water.
(a) I is false but II is true.
(b) I is true but II is false.
(c) I and II are true.
(d) I and II are false
4. Which one of the following is a mineral of iron? (2012)
(a) Malachite (b) Cassiterite
(c) Pyrolusite (d) Magnetite
6. Supplied ores of metals are usually concentrated by froth floatation process. Which one of the following sulphide ores offer an exception and is concentrated by chemical leaching? (2007)
(a) Galena (b) Copper pyrite
(c) Sphalerite (d) Argentite
Roasting of sulphides gives the gas X as a byproduct. This is a colorless gas
with choking smell of burnt Sulphur and causes great damage to respiratory
organs as a result of acid rain. Its aqueous solution is acidic, acts as a
reducing agent and its acid has never been isolated. The gas X is (2013)
(a) CO2 (b) SO3
(c) H2S (d) SO2
8. Considering Ellingham diagram, which of the following metals can be used to reduce alumina? (NEET2018)
(a) Fe (b) Zn
(c) Mg (d) Cu
9. In the extraction of copper from its supplied ore, the metal is finally obtained by the reduction of cuprous oxide with (2015,2012)
(a) Carbon monoxide (b) copper (I) supplied
(c) Sulphur dioxide (d) iron (II) supplied.
10. The metal oxide which cannot be reduced to metal by carbon is (2013)
(a) Al2O3 (b) PbO (c) ZnO (d) Fe2O3
11. Which of the following elements is present as the impurity to the maximum extent in the pig iron? (2011)
(a) Manganese (b) Carbon
(c) Silicon (d) Phosphorus
12. The following reactions take place in the blast furnace in the preparation of impure iron. Identify the reaction pertaining to the formation of the slag. (2011)
(a) Fe2O3(s) + 3CO(g) → 2Fe(l) + 3CO2(g)
(b) CaCO3(s) →CaO(s) + CO2(g)
(c) CaO(s) + SiO2(s) → CaSiO3(s)
(d) 2C(s) + O2(g) → 2CO(g)
13. Which of the following statements, about the advantage of roasting of sulphide ore before reduction is not true? (2007)
(a) The ΔGf° of the sulphide is greater than those for CS2 and H2S.
(b) The ΔGf° is negative for roasting of sulphide ore to oxide.
(c) Roasting of the sulphide to the oxide is thermodynamically feasible.
(d) Carbon and hydrogen are suitable reducing agents for metal sulphides.
15. Aluminium is extracted from alumina (Al2O3) by electrolysis of a molten mixture of (2012)
(a) Al2O3 + HF + NaAlF4
(b) Al2O3 + CaF2 + NaAlF4
(c) Al2O3 + Na3AlF6 + CaF2
(d) Al2O3 + KF + Na3AlF6
18. Extraction of gold and silver involves leaching with CN– ion. Silver is later recovered by (NEET 2017)
(a) Distillation (b) zone refining
(c) Displacement with Zn (d) liquation
19. Identify the correct statement from the following : (NEET 2020)
(a) Wrought iron is impure iron with 4% carbon.
(b) Blister copper has blistered appearance due to evolution of CO2.
(c) Vapour phase refining is carried out for Nickel by van Arkel method.
(d) Pig iron can be moulded into a variety of shapes.
20. Match items of Column I with the items of Column
II and assign the correct code : (NEET-I 2016)
Column I Column II
(A) Cyanide process (i) Ultrapure Ge
(B) Froth floatation process (ii) Dressing of ZnS
(C) Electrolytic reduction reduction (iii) Extraction of Al
(D) Zone refining (iv) Extraction of Au
(v) Purification of Ni
A B C D
(a) (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)
(b) (iii) (iv) (v) (i)
(c) (iv) (ii) (iii) (i)
(d) (ii) (iii) (i) (v)
21. Which of the following pairs of metals is purified by van Arkle method? (2011)
(a) Ga and In (b) Zr and Ti
(c) Ag and Au (d) Ni and Fe
65. Which one of the following methods can be used to obtain highly pure metal which is liquid at room temperature ? (2021)
(4) Zone rening
74. The maximum temperature that can be achieved in blast furnace is : (2021)
(1) upto 1200 K
(2) upto 2200 K
(3) upto 1900 K
(4) upto 5000 K
1. (a) 2. (d) 3. (a) 4. (d) 6. (d) 7. (d) 8. (c) 9. (b) 10. (a) 11. (b) 12. (c) 13. (d) 15. (c) 18. (c) 19. (d) 20. (c) 21. (b) 65. (c) 74. (b)